Grovana’s Remarkable History
In 1924 Hans and Walter Gröflin founded Fabrique d’Horlogèrie W. & H. Groeflin, Tenniken/Bâle. The purpose of the company was to produce watch movements. In 1970 Werner Bitterli takes over Hans Gröflin AG and the name is changed to Grovana Uhrenfabrik AG. In 1971 The production of watch movements is gradually being reduced whilst the development of the company’s own collection simultaneously starts under the name of ‘Grovana’. In 1980 The Swiss watch industry slips into the biggest crisis in its history. The demand for mechanical watches steadily decreases. Werner Bitterli decides to launch a new collection with quartz analog movements. It is a huge success. In 1985 Due to the great demand for watches with quartz analog movements, the production premises have to be extended for the first time. In 1990 Grovana enters new markets in Eastern Europe and Russia. In 1999 The premises must be extended for a second time to optimise the storage and forwarding facilities. In 2002 The mechanical movements are acquired under the license agreement with Revue Thommen AG. Grovana decides to produce these movements again and to sell them exclusively under the brand of “Revue Thommen”. In 2006 Grovana makes the first prototypes of a module for the exclusive manufacture movements. The mechanical manufacture movements are produced under the name of GT (Grovana Tenniken). In 2007 Grovana opens its first retail shop in Liestal, BL, Switzerland. In 2013 Grovana presents a new stand at the BASELWORLD Show to give customers an even better service.